Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tea and (pan)cakes

Sitting in my quiet kitchen, I'm sipping lemongrass tea and nibbling on a crumbly carrot-raisin muffin while leafing through a new cookbook (all thanks to my new sewing friend).  I read cookbooks like novels and this one is a real page turner.

There is hail falling outside for the second time today.  This time is better than the first, because now I have electricity again.  All of that spring energy seems to have left me, and on days like these I feel the need for a warm and hearty breakfast.  One of my favorites is:

Semolina Pancakes

2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour

2/3 c. semolina

1 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 1/2 tsp. (or 1 packet, for those in Israel) baking powder

1/2 c. canola oil

2/3 c. date syrup (silan) or brown sugar

1 tsp. vanilla (or 1 packet vanilla sugar)

2 eggs

2 1/2 c. buttermilk (or regular milk w/juice of 1/2 lemon)

In a large bowl, whirl it all together.  Don't worry about the lumps.  Let sit for a few minutes to soften the semolina while your skillet is warming.  If it's too thick, add a little more milk.  Ladle the batter into the skillet.  My kids like a lot of little pancakes so that they can brag about eating a dozen or more, so I cook three or four at once.  Spoon yogurt on top or drizzle more of the date syrup.  Take two pancakes and slap some cheese or peanut butter with banana slices between them for breakfast on the run.

Sorry, no pictures this time.  They all disappeared too fast.